The large amount of information companies handle and create daily has necessitated the need of Document Management System (DMS) or Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solutions. DMS solutions are typical tools of addressing challenges and overcoming many documented chaos that confronts organisations, they generally guarantee data compliance and protections. Be that as it may, the way toward choosing and purchasing this solution is significant and requires a profound investigation of each of the organization’s needs. Against this backdrop, below are the important factors to put into consideration before purchasing a DMS solution.
1. Perhaps it should be stated emphatically that the most important factor to consider before buying a DMS solution is to know the reason why you need it in the first place. You can’t buy the right tool unless you know what you’re trying to fix. The objectives of purchase should be clearly defined in order to know what success means. Some objectives of document management solution are; increasing efficiency, reducing paper consumption, promoting collaboration and ensuring compliance with regulatory framework. Regardless of the goal, defining the objectives will guide you in purchasing the right tool.
2. The software should have simple and attractive interface and require little or no technical expertise to operate. Though most vendors have a training and consultancy department that will walk you through the operation and implementation. The Document Management software to be obtained must also have the capacity to adjust to the organization’s needs and, in the meantime, be adaptable to fit future needs
3. The credibility of the vendor also has to be considered. Choosing the right vendor is a key factor to consider because the vendor you choose can make or break your DMS experience. Get your work done and select a legitimate seller with quite a long while of product and service credibility. Keep away from vendor that offers “one size fit all” software at inconceivably low price. You need to compare various prices and seek people’s review about the vendors before you can make an informed choice.
4. How intelligently the software capture your data has to be considered before purchase. The right DMS solution will capture your data from a variety of input devices. Once your documents have been scanned, the system should intelligently extract and validate the data in the files. The software will then tag and categorize materials for fast retrieval through an easy-to-use search engine, conserving your staff’s time and increasing productivity. While many DMS solutions claim to offer intelligent data capture, not all deliver. Work closely with your vendor to make sure that the product you select can actually interpret your data correctly.
5. The right DMS solution should support easy integration. The solution should easily feature integration for programs you are already using, such as email client and customer relationship management software, Microsoft Office, Docusign, Quickbook and so on. The solution should also include an Application Programming Interface (API) that allows for customized integration. A document management solution with API extends such adaptability to organisation’s wishing to further tailor the document management system to their specific initiatives. Integrating a document management system into other applications allows users to retrieve existing documents directly from the document management repository.
6. Since one of the cogent reasons you want a DMS solution is to protect data, then you should only consider the solution that places primary emphasis on security. The right DMS or ECM solution must protect your corporate and client information with a system that includes rigorous security protocols designed to block external threats. There might be need to constantly monitor and update security levels in order to address evolving attacks.
7. Versioning is also an important feature to consider. Versioning is a process by which documents are checked in or out of the document management system, allowing users to retrieve previous versions and to continue work from selected points. Versioning is useful for documents that change frequently and require updating from time to time.
8. Workflow is a complex process and an adequate document management solution should have a built-in workflow module. There are different types of workflow and usage depends on the environment to which the electronic document management system (EDMS) is applied. The right document management solution should be able to handle the technicality of workflow.
In conclusion, choosing the right document management solution can be a challenge. Take control of your pursuit by first understanding your needs and the accessible software choices. Pick a respectable vendor with demonstrated software, demand security, back up your data, and your document management system will provide significant return on your investment.